C. L. (Dutch) Schultz , Jr. Seaman
USS Helena CL-50. 1939 to sometime after 7 December 1941.

The following account written to his parents sometime after the attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941, donated by Barry Schultz, his son.

L-C. W. (Dutch) Schultz. R- Donald (Red) J. Leonard

December 7, 1941

On the morning of December 7, 1941, I awoke at 5:30 and prepared to relieve the watch at 6:30. I relieved the watch at 6:15 and after clearing a few routine matters by 7:00 I began writing a home. At 7:05 a message came over a receiver here in the Communication stating that one of our destroyers operating an inner coastal patrol had encountered an unknown submarine and dropped six depth charges upon it. Results of this encounter were unknown. At precisely 8:03, I heard a terrific explosion and the sound of diving airplanes overhead. Thinking that the explosion was blasting and the planes our own in a sham battle, I continued writing. Immediately after the first explosion followed a half dozen more. At this time I grew suspicious and walked over to the window and upon glancing out over the bay I was surprised to see great billows of black smoke rising and flame intermingling. At this time (approximately 8:15) I saw a plane come hurtling down over the Naval Air Station and a huge bomb dropped out of its bomb racks and went hurtling down to spread destruction.

I was shocked, horrified, amazed, and all the rest of the similar adjectives, to see a "Rising Sun" on the fuselage and wing tips of the plane. I then looked toward the Army Air Field and saw approx. two squadrons of Jap planes circling around and around the field much as vultures circle a wounded man, unmolested. These planes were very much intent upon destroying the entire field. Every so often one of them came hurtling down, dropped his bomb, strafed personnel and then did a wing-over and gained altitude. I might say that these planes were strafing the entire Navy yard also. Occasional anti-aircraft fire interrupted the explosions and machine gun fire. Incidentally I have never heard anything before that sounded such as the machine guns on the Jap planes. They sounded like large firecrackers and the sound was, to say the least, “Nercewracking”. At this time came an hour lull in the great battle of “Pearl Harbor.”

At 10:15 over they came again. This time a bit higher and more cautious because of the terrific barrage being laid up by the various ships in the harbor and the shore batteries at the Navy Yard. The U.S.S. Helena reputedly sent up the best barrage in the fleet, and was credited with at least five planes. However she sustained a direct torpedo hit amidships and was unable to maneuver immediately.

When the smoke of battle cleared away and the Japs took to their heels, the following was ascertained: The Oklahoma capsized, the Arizona blew up and two other large battleships were damaged, although to what extent is not known.

The Japanese evidentially intended the U. S. Navy to be annihilated, the civilian populace, terrorized and the Army taken by force. However the best laid planes of mice and men often go awry and such was the case of the Japanese War Lords.

Additional information from Barry Schultz.

My mom said dad was on the Helena a short time after the Pearl Harbor attack but then was transferred to the states for Officer Training School. He graduated from Marquette University just before the end of the war. Mom said he got his degree in 3 years time.

The day of the attack, she said, he was on assignment picking up some communications (that was his specialty) when (excuse the expression all hell broke loose.) He eventually made his way back to the ship but it was not easy due to the gunfire from the Japanese planes.

He was on the Helena in 1940 when it visited Argentina and met some of the German sailors from the Graf Spee.

He passed away from a brain tumor in 1968 while we were living in Norfolk Virginia. I was only 14 when he died and would like to hear from anyone who knew him from being a shipmate.

My email address is bschultz2@cfl.rr.com

He eventually retired a Lieutenant after a 20 year stint. My mom told me he was on shore during the attack doing something regarding communications and was trying to get back to the ship when the attack began. I have a copy of a letter he sent back to his mom (my grandmother) (posted above) after the attack and it's really something to hear of his account. Thanks for the chance to reach out. God Bless!

LT Clarence Walter Schultz, Jr.

Clarence W. Schultz Military Awards

Navy Unit Commendation

Presidential Unit Citation

Korean Presidential Unit Citation

Good Conduct Medal

American Defense Medal

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic Pacific Medal
With Eight (2) Battle Stars

World War II Victory Medal

Korean Service Medal
With Three (3) Battle Stars

United Nations Service Medal

National Defense Service Medal

Navy Occupation Medal

Members Stories